Scientific and Regulatory
- Numerous legislations concerning food ingredients have to be taken into account for product formulation, particularly:
- Regulation (EC) N° 1333/2008 on food additives
- Regulation (EC) N° 1334/2008 on food flavourings
- Regulation (EC) N° 1332/2008 on food enzymes
- Positive lists of vitamins and minerals from Directive 2002/46/EC, Regulation (EU) N° 609/2013 and Regulation (EC) N° 1925/2006
- Regulation (EC) N° 258/97 on novel foods and novel food ingredients which have not been used for human consumption to a significant degree within Europa prior to 15 May 1997, for which an authorization is needed to place the product on the market (full authorization procedure or substantial equivalence). From 1rst January 2018: Regulation (EU) 2015/2283 on novel foods will replace Regulation (EC) No 258/97.
- Some specific national rules may exist for substances with a nutritional or physiological effect as for botanicals. Our Nutraveris’on line database lists the legislative status in countries for more than 2100 ingredients with nutritional or physiological effect for use in foods supplements. The communication on those ingredients is regulated by Regulation (EC) N° 1924/2006 on nutrition and health claims.